Friday, December 15, 2017

Christmas Talk

Some of you may know what that's a picture of, but I may have to explain it to others.  Back in the sixties, Capitol Records would distribute shows to radio stations highlighting all their new records.  Sometimes they were just albums featuring new tracks, but sometimes they were actual shows with a DJ and interviews of the artists.  Some of these are special seasonal versions, and that's side one of the above record, or as they term it, side 83 since this is the 42nd record in the series.  I've got some of the others, but this is the first Christmas one I've ever found.  Well, that's not true, I've found one of the bare-tracks one, and it's not something I can share.  I did rip it and discovered all the tracks on it are edited versions that cut each song down to about two minutes.  But I digress.  Side one of this LP is a show about Tennessee Ernie Ford's then-new LP The Story of Christmas.  Ernie was accompanied by Roger Wagner on this album, and he shows up here as well, which is no surprise, since the host of the show is his brother, Jack Wagner.  I've left it as one big long track, the same way it was presented on the vinyl.  There's really not much interview here, it's mostly songs from the new album, but it's more than worth a listen.  I also threw in the flip side, which is a show about new releases in Capitol's budget Star Line, but with absolutely no Christmas content.  Please download and give a listen to Jack Wagner-Silver Platter Service Sides 83 & 84 (Capitol PRO 3083/3084, Mono, 1964).

Zippyshare

9 comments:

  1. Nice one! I love the Silver Platter Series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are great! Now if I can find the Beach Boys Christmas one...

    I went ahead and included the second non-Christmas side because I knew I'd get requests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Beach Boys LP is a tough get.

    Yeah, people like to get the whole experience, relevant or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this.I've listened to it a couple of times now and it reminds me of a vinyl podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nifty! Making me wish I could find my "Columbia Reports" LP from 1956--one they sent monthly to dealers highlighting the newest releases. They did a Christmas one that was based on two Christmas parties...the East Coast one at Mitch Miller's house, with his guests Jo Stafford, Paul Weston, et. al. "dropping by" and singing a song or two. Very charming. Have you ever come across it? (Dammit, where is it?)

    Anyhow, thanks very much for all the rarities and Christmas cheer over the years.

    All the best,

    Jeff M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds an awful lot like Columbia House Party, where you're supposedly dropping in on a party at Paul Weston & Jo Stafford's house. But it's not Christmas Never heard of a Christmas one, would love to hear it if such a thing existed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A new link for 2018...

    https://mega.nz/#!QFcGxIYS!FXaEU3F54xHDkycOQE3WQNwvQjNAZujDpxyCBBNur7c

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...