Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Christmas In July 2017-Day 5

G'day, and welcome to the fifth day of Christmas In July!  All of the songs in today's share were recorded last year for a July that never happened.  There's some good stuff in here, so let's get to it.

1. Be A Santa by Percy Faith And His Orchestra, from his LP featuring interpretations of songs from the musical Subways Are For Sleeping (Columbia CS 5833, Stereo, 1961).  I don't know why, but this was a hard LP to find.  You see lots of Percy Faith in the thrift store bins, but never this one for some reason.

2. Santa Claus Is Flat Gonna Come To Town by The Four Freshman from their second live LP The Four Freshmen In Person Volume 2 (Capitol ST 1860, Stereo, 1963).  This was one of my favorite finds from back in the day.  Some people find it too cheeky but I love it.  This is the sort of track I love to find and share with you here.

3. November "Troika" (Sleigh-Ride) by Morton Gould At The Piano And Conducting His Orchestra from his album Tchaikovsky: The Months, Op. 37a (Columbia Masterworks ML 4487, Mono, 1950).  This is the first of several holiday related tracks on this one.  I was pretty surprised when this turned up because it's the sort of record I'm always looking for but rarely find.

4. Swingin' Them Jingle Bells-Instrumental by Fats Waller from the compilation The Complete Fats Waller Volume IV (RCA 2xLP 5905-1-RB (Originally Recorded in Chicago, 29 November 1936), Mono, 1987).  Until I saw this LP, I didn't realize Fats had recorded an instrumental of his great Christmas song.  These days, I suppose this would be called the karaoke version.

5. When Winter Comes (From The 20th Century Fox Film "Second Fiddle") By Joanie Sommers from Sommers' Seasons (Warner Bros WS1504, Stereo, 1963).  Again, the sort of LP, I search for.  If they're singing about the seasons, there's a pretty good chance you'll get a few winter songs in there.

That's it.  Some new, some reruns, but all good stuff.  Enjoy!

Zippyshare

4 comments:

  1. Most excellent selection. You're right about the Percy Faith LP - I think I have seen it once. I don't think I have ever seen the Morton Gould album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real Gone is releasing another Percy Faith Christmas set this year (the 1959 Stereo re-recording of "Music of Christmas") and word is those uncollected Christmas tracks (such as "Be A Santa" and "Brazilian Sleigh Bells") MAY be on it. Gordon's still working on securing the rights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day, eh? and welcome to my comment!

    I heard Bob and Doug's Christmas single on CBC radio last week - yes, Christmas in July.

    (That was me on the drums.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoser!

    I usually play air flute, which no one understands...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...