Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Christmas In July 2017-Day 04

Gonna try and get something up a little bit earlier today.  Can't be up all night since I have to go to work in the morning, unlike the past four days in a row.  And with all that time off, I was able to get more than 80 tracks ripped and put in the pile for future Christmas in July sharing!  Hooray!  Still having a hard time finding new stuff that I haven't shared before, but I've got a few things that I don't think you've heard before.  And I hope the old stuff sounds better than the previous time I shared it.  Now, on with the show.

1. Oshogatsu-Yuki (Snow And New Year) by 101 Strings, Conducted By Richard Müller-Lampertz, Koto Solos By Shinichi Yuize from Songs Of The Seasons In Japan (Alshire S-5019, Stereo, 1964).  I've shared this one before, but it's always nice to share something that doesn't sound the same as everything else, and a bit of foreign flavor helps in that regard.

2. A Partridge In A Pear Tree (The Twelve Days Of Christmas) by Baja Marimba Band from the album For Animals Only (A&M SP4113, Stereo, 1965).  If I haven't shared this one before, then shame on me.  This was one of the first tracks I ever noticed in the middle of a non-Christmas album and wondered what it was doing there.  It also features on the A&M Christmas LP from the period, Something Festive.

3. December by Count Basie And The Mills Brothers from The Board Of Directors (Dot DLP 25838, Stereo, 1968).  One of the all-time great tracks that would have never found without all these July searches!  This is what it's all about!

4. Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers by Ethel Smith, the second track shared from Ethel Smith's Toy Parade (Decca 10" 33 RPM DL 5283, Mono, 1951).  Good stuff.

5. Excerpts From The Nutcracker-Scene And March by Antal Dorati And The London Symphony Orchestra from Curtain Up! Holidays Around The World (Mercury SR90361 For Broadcast Only-Not For Sale, Stereo, 1963).  At least this one, I think, is new to the blog.  At least I have no memory of having recorded it before, I didn't do an exhaustive search.

And that's it, five more tracks.  Hope you're having a great Fourth of July!  I wish they'd had the fireworks last night, then I could have stayed up late and watched them.  As it is, I'm sure every yokel in the neighborhood is going to be setting off explosions until tomorrow morning sometime.  I'm so old.

Zippyshare

5 comments:

  1. You can never go wrong with the Mills Brothers. Or Count Basie. The two together? BWCKHAUWOOooo! Mind blown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit late to the show this year. Is this a whole album? If so, I hope it will all turn up here some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops, I meant was the Count Basie/Mills Brothers a whole album and will we see it all here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They actually did two albums together. Pretty sure they're both out on the same CD. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...