Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Holiday Harmony

Tonight, a little something from the budget department of Columbia Records. I'm not sure what even possessed me to buy this, given the out-of-focus cover picture and the horrible condition of the vinyl, but I did anyway.  I tend to buy almost every Christmas record I see, and especially things on major labels that I've never seen before.  There's a certain level of competence that one expects artists to achieve before they get a contract with a major label.  Smaller labels, not so much, and I pass on a lot of those records, though not always as I'm sure you've seen around here this year.  But I digress.  I bought this record and recorded it just to see what sort of thing it was.  It's a competent choir, doing some of the expected Christmas tunes, and a couple of small surprises, but nothing you haven't heard elsewhere and probably better.  But I'm sure there's one person out there who had this record as a child, and when they stumble across it here, they will be overjoyed to hear something that takes them back to 1957 and their earliest Christmas memories.  This record is for that person.  And when you find it, please download The Harmony Choristers-Lehman Engel, Conductor-Christmas Hymns And Carols (Harmony (Columbia) HL 7073, Mono, 1957).

1. Wassail Song
2. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
3. Silent Night, Holy Night
4. Holy Day, Holly Carol
5. It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
6. Sing We Noel Once More
7. Good King Wenceslas
8. The First Nowell
9. Midwinter
10. Deck The Hall With Boughs Of Holly
11. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
12. Pat-A-Pan
13. O Little Town of Bethlehem
14. In Dulci Jubilo
15. Corpus Christi
16. O Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)

MediaFire
Torrent

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! But track one seems to be missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, looks like I labeled it as track 11, since there are two track 11's. Deck The Hall should be track one. Not my first screw-up this year, I'm afraid, probably not the last, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's an updated track list...

    1 - Deck The Hall With Boughs Of Holly
    2 - Wassail Song
    3 - God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
    4 - Silent Night, Holy Night
    5 - Holy Day, Holly Carol
    6 - It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
    7 - Sing We Noel Once More
    8 - Good King Wenceslas
    9 - The First Nowell
    10 - Midwinter
    11 - We Three Kings Of Orient Are
    12 - Pat-A-Pan
    13 - O Little Town Of Bethlehem
    14 - In Dulci Jubilo
    15 - Corpus Christi
    16 - O Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ernie - FYI, I believe this originated as a 10-incher on the main Columbia label called "Christmas Hymns and Carols" with the Columbia Choristers, conducted by Lehman Engel. I picked up a copy sometime in the past year. I was thinking of transferring it, but I see it left you unmoved.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...