Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Caw!


It's really hard to get a good picture of a crow. They're all black and the exposure rarely comes out correct. I think this one is pretty good. The iridescence in the feathers is a nice touch. But what can I say, it's still just a common crow. Or is it? I think a crow has a stubbier, darker beak. What does that make this? I'm thinking it's a grackle, a boat-tailed grackle to be specific, a male boat-tailed grackle to be even more specific. So many birds, so little difference.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't look like the crows we have around here. Aren't grackles smaller than crows?

    Buster the Bird Expert

    ReplyDelete
  2. buster: not that I know anything about grackles but I've been around farm country and agree with the thought "aren't crows bigger"!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...