Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Famous Piano?


I've never known exactly what to think of this record. It claims to have been recorded on a famous piano. I guess I should care about that, but I don't. The story associated with it seems too fantastical to be true. For an instrument to have been through that much, how could it possibly sound the same as it once did? Well, I suppose if they can resurrect a crushed Stradivarius from the splinters, anything is possible. I've been wondering about this since 2007 when I first found and shared this LP. It probably won't leave you with any sleepless night, though, so don't hesitate to download and listen to Grace Castagnetta-Christmas On The Siena Pianoforte (Counterpoint/Esoteric (An Everest Records Production), S-2411-53005, Fake Stereo).

1. Joy To The World
2. Oh, Little Town Of Bethlehem
3. Hark, The Herald Angels Sing
4. Christmas Is Here
5. What Child Is This?
6. Deck The Halls
7. Oh, Holy Night
8. Rise Up, Shepherd, An' Foller
9. Away In A Manger
10. Adeste Fideles ("Come All Ye Faithful")
11. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
12. How Brightly Beams The Morning Star
13. I Saw Three Ships
14. Good King Wenceslas
15. The Holly And The Ivy
16. We Three Kings
17. Jingle Bells
18. The First Nowell
19. Silent Night, Holy Night

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ernie,
    I have new information about the Siena Piano. If you or anyone else are interested, you may contact me at MaestroJim@comcast.net. I am a former piano tuning student of Mr. Carmi.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...