Monday, November 30, 2009

Annual Christmas


I found these three magazines a couple years ago at a Goodwill store. They appeared to be from some sort of church library, and I haven't seen anything like them before or since. They're magazines titled Christmas: An American Annual Of Christmas Literature And Art. I see lots of people selling them on the internet, but no information as to what they are. Seems odd to only put out a magazine once a year. The issue above is from 1960, below is 1957 and bottom is 1959. Each one is printed on thick stock meant to last a few years, not your typical magazine slicks. They are filled with lavish color illustrations and articles, most of which seem more European than American, but I'm no expert. Wikipedia yields one article on the publisher, Augsburg Publishing House, and another article on Randolph Edgar Haugan, who seems to have had something to do with the publishing.

3 comments:

  1. This is a beloved Christmas tradition in Minneapolis and probably all around the Midwest. The Augsburg Christmas annual is still being published as far as I know -- check Amazon.com or the Augsburg Fortress website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a pack of about a dozen of these at a used bookstore here in Phoenix. It was a ridiculous low price, but I didn't know what they were. Maybe I'll go back for 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an update, I learned today that publication ceased in 1997. If you find even a "recent" one for under $10, snap it up.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...