Sunday, December 14, 2008

One From Zondervan


This is the first of two shares this evening from the religious Zondervan label. I don't know much about that label, and the last time I checked their website, they didn't mention making music any longer, but Wikipedia talks about it briefly. But I've got a couple of records that say otherwise, and I'm going to share them both with you. This first one is a collection of organ medleys that tell the story of the Nativity. According to the liner notes on the back of this record, Bert Jones was a popular organist in Pittsburgh, performing in bank lobbies. I can't imagine how many bank lobbies actually had organs in them, but this was a different time. I think you'll enjoy some of these, so please download Bert Jones-Christmas Messages In Music (Zondervan ZLP-559, Mono, 1964). I didn't think I was going to get a good recording of this for you, as it kept skipping all over the place. Then I found another copy of the record back in the archive. And this is a long one, clocking in at over 50 minutes. No idea how they squeezed that much music onto a single piece of vinyl.

1. The Night Of Nights
2. The Town Of Promise
3. The Angels Herald
4. The Birthday Of A King
5. Shepherds Watching
6. Stars Shine
7. Wise Men Journey
8. The Babe In The Manger
9. Joy To The World

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...