Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wake Up To This


I keep forgetting to post this. Last time I was working over in Daytona Beach, these giant stick insects were mating on the window sill out side the office I was in. That big one, which I think is the female, is about four inches long, not including the antennae or legs. The little male is only about two inches long. The only time I ever see these creatures is mating season, and even then I don't see two many of them. They seem to like to crawl up walls while mating for some reason unbeknowst to me. Biggest one I've ever seen was almost six inches, but that was back before I was an avid photographer, so I never got a picture. But maybe someday...

I love the internet! This is a muskmare (the big girl) and the little guy is her stallion. Scientific name is anisomorpha buprestoides, commonly called two-striped walkingsticks. How's that for info?

2 comments:

  1. YUCK! I have a camel cricket trapped under a trash can in my bedroom ... because nobody is noble enough to come to my rescue! LOL. in another couple days, I should be able to sweep its desicated body out the front door, no sweat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to see walking sticks in Ohio when I was a kid, but never these kind. The ones I saw were the thin ones. I was surprised to see one of them in Moffat, CO in 1981. I didn't expect to see them at that altitude.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...