Monday, January 14, 2008

Oodles Of Doodles CCCXXVII


I've been excited about sharing this doodle ever since I found the LP several months ago. I think it was lost in the Christmas shuffle for a little while, but I found it again today and I'm sharing it with you tonight. I don't know exactly why I'm excited about it, I just like the somewhat gritty depiction of 'modern' life it seems to depict. (Modern in this case being somewhere in the early fifties, I believe.) I suppose it dovetails nicely with the LP I scanned it from, The Age Of Anxiety (Symphony No. 2 For Piano And Orchestra) (After W. H. Auden) by Leonard Bernstein Conducting The Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra Of New York, Lukas Foss, Piano (Columbia ML 4325). It's rare that I feature a doodle from a symphonic LP, but this one speaks to me for whatever reason. I thought you'd enjoy it, too. No idea who the artist is, but there is a credit on the LP itself that says Darrill Connelly. That may or may not cover the design of the entire LP and may or may not include the doodle. Google doesn't return much on that name, so if it means anything to anybody, please let me know.

5 comments:

  1. this is my father's work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The music or the doodle? I don't know who did the artwork...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the artwork- Darrill Connelly. He used to work as an illustrator for Columbia Records and now lives in Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Tell him I said thanks for the great artwork. It's rare that I get to hear from any of the actual artists who did the doodles I like to share. :)

    I've got some more of these from the same era that I haven't shared. Maybe I should go dig some of those up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realize it has been a few years since I first read this post of yours. I have recently been posting all my Darrill Connelly record covers at
    recordcovers.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...