Monday, July 30, 2007

Christmas In July 2007-Day 30

Day 30! Almost at the end of the journey. I was starting to think I might not make it. I hope you're enjoying all these tracks as much as I am. There's been some real good stuff this year. One of my favorite finds of the year is the first track I'm sharing with you today. The song is Joy To The World as performed by the IBM 7090 Computer And Digital To Sound Transducer from the album Music From Mathematics (Decca DL 79103, 1962). I had downloaded this LP from Basic Hip a few years ago, and thought it was sort of interesting. It's a very early attempt to create music using a computer, and it has lots of interesting experiments on it. I didn't notice until much more recently that there was a Christmas song on here, and when I did, I set out in earnest to find a copy. Then one day I was flipping through a thick stack of records at the Goodwill store near Nokomis, and there it was. Not only a copy, but a stereo copy! And not only a stereo copy, but a sealed stereo copy! I couldn't believe it. Even the great Basic Hip had only shared a mono copy. I happily paid my buck and brought it home. I didn't open it until last Saturday, when I pulled it out and copied the track I'm sharing with you today. I'm sure you'll love it.

Oh, wait, I have some other tracks for you today. That's not the only one. I just got carried away for a bit. What else do I have here? Let's see... How about a track called Holiday from Lawrence Welk And His Champagne Music from the LP Nimble Fingers (Coral CRL 57178, 1957)? That's a good one. Then there's Let There Be Peace On Earth (And Let It Begin With Me) by John Gary from the album John Gary Sings Especially For You (RCA Victor LSP-3695, 1967). That's another good one. From there I've got one version each of some of the stalwart songs around here. There's a version of Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers by the Waldorf "Punch & Judy" Orchestra from Pops From Toyland (Waldorf Music Hall MHK 33-1208). And here's another stab at I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm by Al Goodman And His Orchestra from Dance To The Best Of Irving Berlin! (Diplomat DS 2255). Perhaps you'll be more excited by another version of Greensleeves, this time by old favorite Skitch Henderson And His Orchestra from the album Music From Around The World (Decca DL 38076, Especially prepared for Colonial Stores). Not enough yet? How about one more version of Snowfall by Dick Hyman, a different version than the one I shared here, from his solo piano LP called, surprisingly enough, Piano Solo (Project 3 PR 5070SD, 1972). What is that, seven tracks? You can't complain about that! Here's the link, go help yourself.

What did the next-to-last day in July bring you last year? Six tracks, five of which are funny little comedy bits and songs, and one great lost holiday tune from Eydie Gorme. Go get 'em!

2 comments:

  1. Ernie, I sure am enjoying this month's selections. Thanks for all the hard work in putting it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Ernie,

    I must confess that I’ve been so busy with my own Christmas in July that I haven’t listened to any of yours… until today.

    I was immediately drawn to the “Joy To The World as performed by the IBM 7090 Computer And Digital To Sound Transducer” that I had to download. And what a wonderful set of tunes unzipped to my ‘puter!!

    The Joy to the World is a hoot! But “Parade of the Wooden Soldiers” is wonderful nostalgia and John Gary’s “Let There Be Peace On Earth” is beautiful!! His rendition really brings out the meaning of the song.

    I don’t think you can hurt “I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm” it’s such a great tune and this rendition makes me think of what it must have been like in the 40s & 50s when you could go to a club and see a full orchestra playing for your listening and dancing pleasure.

    Dick Hyman’s “Snowfall” is in a word brilliant!

    Greensleeves is nice, nothing special.

    And Mr. Welk and his fellow musicians, his music is almost pure perfection. No one could make music like this guy!

    As Mr. Welk might say, “Uh tank you, Ernie, that was uh wonderful!!”

    Great stuff, now I’ve gotta go get this rest of ‘em!!

    Love,
    bongolong

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...