Saturday, March 10, 2007

Sunset Tonight

Right before the sun finally went down, I found a pair of ospreys working on their nest. They were building it atop a remnant of the old fort that used to occupy the site, hence the name Ft. DeSoto. One of the birds would fly away every few minutes, circle around until he spotted a good piece of nest material, grab it, then bring it back to the nest. They'd both spend some time working it into the intricate design, then the cycle would repeat. The actual sunset is below. To the left of the sun is a large freighter that had passed by about half an hour earlier. I couldn't see it when I took the picture, since I was pretty much looking into the sun, so I was surprised when it showed up in the picture. I'm thinking that both of these pictures are early contenders for calendar shots next year.

1 comment:

  1. Okay...maybe I'm feeling a little Rorschach-y/ink-blotty, but the top photo appears to be a witch standing on her broom with a good tailwind. Why she'd be landing on a nest, I can't tell you...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...