Sunday, January 07, 2007

Beer On Parade

Just for kicks, I drove into downtown Sarasota today. I wanted to get some pictures of some stupid clowns they've got down there, but I stumbled onto something a little better than fiberglass clowns. Turns out they were have some big bikefest called Thunder By The Bay. But that's not the exciting part. I've been to Bike Week in Daytona, so the sight of a couple thousand bikes didn't impress me. What did impress me were the Budweiser Clydesdales. Man, those are some big horses. Eight of those horses pulled the beerwagon about a mile around downtown, to surprisingly little fanfare. I walked the whole route with them shooting pictures, and there were several times when the only people watching were the folks in cars who had to pull out of the way. I did get a few decent pictures for you, so have a look.
This horse acted like they'd fed him peanut butter or something. He just kept doing his best Mr. Ed impression.
These two guys drove the horses, and the dalmatian just sat there. I took this shot about 10 seconds before he let go and peed all over the beer wagon. Not very dignified, but it says a lot about Budweiser...
These are the guys who had to follow the wagon around and clean up after the horses. They should make a beer commercial about them. This reminds me of Rocky & Bullwinkle, when they have the little parade in the credits, and the guy at the end has to clean up after the elephants.
The fancy beer wagon may look old, but it's pretty high tech, for a wagon. See, disc brakes!

2 comments:

  1. The Clydesdale barn is the best part of Busch Gardens, watching them hitch the horses to the wagon. You're not kidding when you say those are some big horses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a time they kept the Clydesdales at their HQ & main brewery in St. Louis, MO - one of the highlights of our family vacation of 1974.


    Capt

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...