Monday, November 27, 2006

Ethel (Not Lucy)

Back during my Christmas In July celebration, I shared out a couple of tracks by Ethel Smith. They were nice, breezy, fun-loving organ instrumentals. Well, at least that's the way I remember them. I was doing some research for that post and discovered that she had a Christmas record out there, so I started searching. Before I could turn anything up, my buddy over at A Christmas Yuleblog found a copy and shared it out. I eventually dug up not one but two copies of the record, the one above on 2x7" (the flip side to that record is directly below). I also found the original 78 RPM set, shown at the bottom. It's amazing what you can find when you start looking. When I heard the music, I was a little disappointed. It was straight up funereal, dirge-like organ. Nothing like what I found on my tracks. But that doesn't mean you will be. Go give it a try, you might enjoy it. And tell the Cap'n I said hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...