Friday, July 28, 2006

Christmas In July-Part 28

Four weeks into our share-a-bration! The fake Christmas season will soon be gone, and then you'll have to wait for whatever Santa might bring you in December. Hopefully the gems I've shared with you this month will help tide you over. Here's today's swag:

Track uno: My Favorite Things by The Trapp Family Singers, or, if you read the label more closely, Members of The Trapp Family Singers. The LP is called The Sound Of Music (RCA Victor LPM-2277, 1960), and features some of the actual subjects of the musical singing the songs. I know the Trapp family put out a couple of Christmas LPs on Decca, but I didn't know they recorded the music from their own life story.

Track dos: The Ski Song (Slalom) by David Carroll from Contrasts (Mercury Wing MGW 12146). I thought I had this record in stereo, but I can't find it. You can download the whole LP (in stereo, no less!) from These Records Are BenT if you like this sample track. I found this tune last year, and really enjoyed it.

Track tres: March of The Toys by Marty Gold from 24 Pieces Of Gold (RCA Victor VPS-6012, 1962). I think this is the third track from Marty Gold I've shared with you, and maybe the fifth or sixth version of this same song. But it's still good. I bet I've picked this LP up a dozen times in the past year, but never noticed this track was there until yesterday. Sometimes I'm a little slow like that. Other times I pick up a record for no reason, and there's something great on there.

Track quatro: Snow Flake by Jim Reeves from the various artists collection Big Country Hits, Volume 1 (RCA Victor LSP-3606, 1966). This is a great example of a track that came from a record I picked up for no reason. Why would I ever have suspected a country compilation like this would have a slightly seasonal song? And from two years after the death of Mr. Reeves, no less.

Those are your tracks for today, here's the link, see you back here tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...