Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Christmas In July-Part 25

If this were December, today would be Christmas, right? I mean, it is the 25th day of the month. But Christmas In July is just a made-up excuse to share some Christmas music during the hottest time of the year, so don't go looking for any presents under your tree today. And why do you even have a tree up, anyway? It's July! Here're four tracks for your average, ordinary day in July:

Track one: Baby It's Cold Outside by Ted Heath and Edmundo Ros from Heath vs. Ros Round 2 (London Phase 4 SP 44089). This is my favorite version yet of this oft-repeated track. Some of you may remember it from last year when I shared it out at FaLaLaLaLa during the summer. Well, it's back, and every bit as great now as it was then. Imagine these two big bands shoved into one room, going full blast into the 20-channel mixer, and that's exactly what it sounds like. This one's a keeper for sure!

Track two is Merry Christmas Polka by Lawrence Welk from Music For Polka Lovers (Mercury Wing SRW 16210). I didn't realize until too late that this was fake stereo. Sorry about that. Still a neat track, though.

Track three is Sleigh Ride, as recreated in stereo by it's writer, Leroy Anderson, on the LP Leroy Anderson Conducts Leroy Anderson (Decca DL 78865). I'm certain this song predates the stereo era, so this has to be a recreation of the original, but it's still good. Anderson's stuff was crying out for stereo, even though it was written years ahead of the invention.

Track four is Vaughn Monroe doing the classic Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow from There I Sing/Swing It Again (RCA Victor LSP-1799, 1958). Again, this is a later stereo re-recording of the original hit by the original artist. He sounds a bit older in this one than I'm used to, but you'll still enjoy it.

Only six days left, then a long break until the fun starts up again in November. I'm hoping Santa brings me a new needle or two for my poor old turntable, 'cause I'm afraid I'm going to wear this one out! Here's the link to today's tracks. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...