Sunday, July 23, 2006

Christmas In July-Part 22

OK, for the third time already this month, I missed a day. I get in the middle of something, and then I can't get to the computer, and then I miss a post. But you'll get it, don't worry. I'm posting twice today to make up the difference. This post is sort of a hodge-podge, but then, aren't they all? If I had a theme, then you might start to think I was planning ahead, and that's just not the case.

First up today is High On A Windy Hill by Marty Gold from his Stereo Action LP It's Magic (RCA Victor LSA-2290, 1961). First time I heard this I knew it could be a Christmas track. The sound effects at the beginning sound like something from the soundtrack to a Rankin-Bass Christmas special.

Track the second is I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm by The Mills Brothers from Memory Lane (Decca 8219). I know I've shared multiple versions of this track out before, but it's well worth repeating, I think.

Track three is Greensleeves by Dick Leibert from Leibert Takes Richmond (Westminster WST 15009). Ordinarily, Mr. Leibert can do no wrong in my book, but this track is a little weak. You may like it though. It's very sedated, to put it mildly. Again, this is a title I've shared before and will most likely share again. Or maybe I'll share What Child Is This instead.

Track four is yet another version of Snowfall, this time by George Shearing from The Shearing Touch (Capitol SM-1472). I know I just shared out a bunch of versions of this same song, but I didn't have this one then. I just bought this record over the weekend. That's the way it goes, I suppose. It does feature Billy May conducting the orchestra, so quit complaining.

Stay tuned for a second post later tonight to get me back on track. Oh, here's the link. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm almost caught up Ernie... looks like this is going to be a two, maybe three disc set when it's all said and done!


    Capt

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I get everything up that I have in mind, it may take up a bit of a fourth disc. But we'll have to wait and see. I'm not doing so hot on getting stuff recorded. I think I got three tracks ripped from vinyl all weekend... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ernie, that Shearing version of Snowfall is one of my all-time favorites! I'd heard it on the Retro Cocktail Hour years ago but never had a copy of it for myself. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...