Thursday, July 20, 2006

Christmas In July-Part 20

Here we are at day 20, 2/3 of the way to the end of the month, and I've got some real treats for you today. Yep, it's actual Christmas songs! No songs that just happen to mention Christmas or winter or skating, but actual songs about the holiday, and, um, small furry mammals. So, let's see what we've got here:

Track one is The Christmas Tree by David Rose from David Rose Plays David Rose (MGM E3748, 1959). According to the liner notes, this festive track was used for years on Christmas specials by Red Skelton before it was committed to vinyl on this LP. I know you'll enjoy it.

Track two is Winter Wonderland by Eddie Layton from Better Layton Than Ever (Mercury MG 20377). I was so excited when I found this in the thrift store recently. I rushed home and played it just to make sure it really was Winter Wonderland. Then I noticed it was in mono, and started to wonder about the stereo version. I went trolling throught the archives here in the bat cave, err, I mean the condo, and sure enough, I already had the record. Still in mono, but there it was, with a slightly different cover even. I just hadn't noticed the Christmas track right there under my nose. So much for my being observant. But anyway, this is a really great version performed on the organ, with some vibes thrown in for good measure. It even breaks out into Jingle Bells for a few bars, if I remember correctly. Dig it!

Thirdly, you get The Chipmunk Song by Billy Vaughn from Golden Hits (Dot DLP 25201, 1959). Yep, it's a slightly swingin' orchestra performing music made famous by rodents! No vocals on this one, but it's still very reminiscent of Christmas. You'll love it, trust me.

And there you have it. Three of the best tracks I've dug up this holiday season. Here's the link, now go get 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...