Thursday, September 01, 2005

When You "Go Stereo"


Ever since I brought you Eight Questions courtesy of Capitol Records the other day, I've been looking for an RCA Victor equivalent, and this is the closest I've found so far. These pictograms come from the inner sleeve of the 1958 Bob Scobey release I doodlized below. This first illustration shows you the evils of mono recording and playback. Notice how the one side of your head actually turns black when listening to monophonic recordings!

Stereo recording is a very complex process that only the engineers at RCA have mastered, just ask them.

As you can clearly see above, stereophonic playback results in less discoloration of the human face. And all you need to do is buy twice the equipment! What a deal! If you're really curious, you can read the entire sleeve below, or at least the parts relative to the stereo process. The rest of the sleeve was just advertisements for various stereophonic records available at the time.

2 comments:

  1. Ernie,

    Fantastic post! I love all those album sleeve graphics and I certainly won't be listening to any monaural recording for a long whil if that's what they can do to the complexion!!

    Some lovely graphics on this Phase 4 stereo appreciation page:

    http://www.endlessgroove.com/issue4/lp4s.htm


    Hope it's of interest,



    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!

    I'm working my way up to the Phase 4 stuff. I've alse got plenty of stuff on Command and Project 3, too, all of which has great stereo graphics and comments. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...