Friday, August 12, 2005

Oodles of Doodles LXXXIII


You've seen lots of musical instrument doodles here at Ernie (Not Bert), but this is the first harp we've featured. This instrument features appropriately enough from the back cover of The Stanley-Johnson Orchestra-Have Harp Can't Travel (Liberty LST 7118). The front cover has a great picture of a short person trying to man-handle a large harp onto a city bus. There is actually a credit to the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority on the back for the use of their bus, but no word of where the harp came from. I guess the title is a take off on the old TV western Have Gun-Will Travel, but I first was exposed to the phrase through the name of my father's business when I was growing up, Have Tractor Will Mow. Somewhere around here I also have an LP called Have Piano Will Travel by Crazy Otto (Decca DL 74157). I guess it was a popular phrase for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...