Monday, March 21, 2005

Nu Vinyl-Part 1-The 10"ers

OK, so I have a sickness. I collect old vinyl. You know, the big records you used to buy for the music before the little silver discs. I can't go past a thrift store without stopping and seeing what I can find. I've been getting really lucky lately, and scoring some nice stuff.

Here's a few of the items I grabbed this weekend, starting with the 10" records. The guy at the store I bought these from asked me how rare they are, and I really didn't know the answer. I know they aren't at all common anymore, but back in their heyday, I don't know how hard they were to find. From reading some of them, they were available as 10" LPs, or as sets of either 45s or 78s. Anyhow, here goes:

Reginald Foort-Percussion And Pedal
Les Paul & Mary Ford-Bye Bye Blues!
Les Paul & His Trio-Galloping Guitars
Frankie Carle-Plays Honky Tonk
Carlos Montoya-Patterns in Flamenco
Yma Sumac-Voice Of The Xtabay (Yes, I know about this one...)
Marian MacPartland-The Magnificent Marian MacPartland, Volume 1
Red Camp-Horizontal
Sean McGonical-Kilts On Parade
Scandanavian Airlines System-European Holiday ("A Mitch Miller Musical")
Wilbur De Paris And His Rampart St. Ramblers-New Orleans Jazz By
New Musik-Straight Lines (This one is from 1979, whereas all the ones listed above are 40s-50s vintage)


Oh, and one ringer:

Klark Kent-Klark Kent (This one is a 10" record in a 12" sleeve. I've heard about it, but never seen one. The label on the vinyl says Klerk Kant, so I think it's a later issue. I'll have to do some more research.)

And a few more that I found a couple of weeks ago, before I had a blog to mention them in:

Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians-Sidewalks Of New York
Michael Cheshire-The Pipe Organ, Volume 2
Earl Nightingale-Gives You "The Strangest Secret"

Whew, that's a lot of typing. I don't know if I'll be able to keep this up. I'll link any of the above if I get the time, but don't hold your breath...

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...